Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Thoughts of a Phenomenal Woman

I often wonder what my closest friends think of me? Do they confide in me daily just to hear themselves speak, or do they truly value my opinion, and sometimes advice?

I often wonder what my supervisor thinks of me? Does s/he feel I lack the potential to professionally succeed, or do they fear my perseverance?

I often wonder what my husband thinks of me? Does he miss the girl I use to be, or does he admire the woman I am today?

I often wonder what my two daughters think of me? Do they long for their days of independence , or do they wish mom could be there for them more?

I often wonder what my parents think of me? Do they ask where they may have went wrong, or are they proud of who I am and what I aspire to be?

I'm convinced that these questions will always go unanswered, because they solicit the feelings of my closest confidants and the people I love the most. The same feelings that are here today, and potentially gone tomorrow.

So I often answer these questions with a response that defines what I think of me, and I'm partial to Maya Angelou's interpretation of me:

To my friends, I say: Pretty women wonder where my secret lies. I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size. But when I start to tell them,They think I'm telling lies. I say, It's in the reach of my arms The span of my hips,The stride of my step,The curl of my lips. I'm a woman Phenomenally.Phenomenal woman,That's me.

To my supervisor, I say: It's the fire in my eyes, And the flash of my teeth,The swing in my waist, And the joy in my feet. I'm a woman Phenomenally.Phenomenal woman,That's me.

To the man I love, I say: Men themselves have wondered What they see in me.They try so much But they can't touch My inner mystery.When I try to show them They say they still can't see.I say,It's in the arch of my back,The sun of my smile,The ride of my breasts,The grace of my style. I'm a woman.

To my daughters, I say: Now you understand Just why my head's not bowed. I don't shout or jump about Or have to talk real loud.When you see me passing It ought to make you proud.

To my parents, I say: Thank you mom, for showing me how to be a real woman, wife and mother----And dad----- you sure know how to pick 'em.

Peace and Blessings.

0 comments: